- General Surgery
Dr Clifton Washaya is an Australian trained and consultant General Surgeon with broad and extensive experience in General Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Dr Washaya has undergone training overseas and locally with certification by the custodian of Specialist Surgical training in Australasia, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
Clifton grew up in Harare and attained his primary medical qualification from the renowned Godfrey Huggins School of Medicine (now College of Health Sciences). Following a two-year internship Clifton trained in General Surgery and acquired a specialist post-graduate qualification in 1999. This was followed by further training and certification at specialist fellowship level with the College of Surgeons, South Africa. Clifton’s thesis was in Surgical oncology looking at presentation and management of soft tissue tumours and sarcomas in black patients.
In 2004, Clifton was awarded fellowship by the College of Surgeons – East, Central and Southern Africa. Where Clifton is a foundation fellow of the college. He immigrated to Australia with his young family and pursued further specialist training in General surgery through the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Royal Women’s Hospital, Gold Coast University Hospital and the Robina Hospital.
Clifton was awarded the Australasia College of Surgeons Fellowship Diploma following specialist training and examination.
Clifton has been working as a consultant surgeon in the Hunter Valley since 2006 with both public and private hospital appointments at specialist/consultant level.
- Clinical examiner and member – Faculty of Examiners RACS
- Interviewer for SET - training RACS
- Clinical Examiner – MBBS University of Newcastle NSW, Australia
- Clinical Supervisor – GP Synergy (GP proceduralist undergoing surgical training to work as GP proceduralist in rural NSW).
Hospital Appointments (visiting specialist)
- Maitland Private Hospital
- The Maitland Public Hospital
- Muswellbrook District Hospital
- Lingard Private Hospital
- MB,ChB; MMed (Surg); FCS (Cosecsa), FCS (SA), FRACS